The Stadio Comunale Luigi Ferraris, is also known as 'Marassi' from the name of the ward where it is located.
It opened in 1911 and is one of the first and oldest stadiums still in use for football and other sports in Italy.
Hosts since its birth the inside of Genoa, the manufacturer and already owns the stadium. In a later period became the property of the Municipality of Genoa and, since 1946, is also home to Sampdoria.
It was originally a private property of and built by Genoa C.F.C. in 1909.
In 1933, the stadium got its name thanks to the former Genoa captain, Luigi Ferraris.
During World War II it was passed under city public administration and property.
It is currently used for football matches for Genoa and (since 1946) Sampdoria.
The stadium was inaugurated on January 22, 1911 with a football match between Genoa and Internazionale, and had a capacity of 20,000.
It has also hosted the 1934 World Cup match between Spain and Brazil, and by then its capacity had been expanded to 30,000.
The stadium was dismantled and rebuilt for the 1990 FIFA World Cup, during which it hosted four matches.
The highest attendance at the Luigi Ferraris was 60,000 on February 27, 1949, for a match between Italy and Portugal.